Emigration From the UK

Updated 07 / 04 / 2000

  • Return to Home Page



    Contributed by Rebecca Cerecke - April 2000


    From the "Lyttelton Times" June 3, 1874

    Arrived - June 1, Ballochmyle, ship, 1438 tons, - Lunden, from London. Passengers: Mr and Mrs Cousens, Mr & Mrs Brown, Messrs Lamb, Vincent (8), Appleton: 502 immigrants. The ship was signalled off the Heads on Sunday night, came up to her anchorage yesterday afternoon after a passage of 87 days. There are 503 immigrants on board: 6 deaths and 3 births occurred on the voyage. There being no disease on board the vessel was cleared. The immigrants will be landed today.

    From the "Lyttelton Times" June 4, 1874

    The ship signalled on Sunday proved to be the Ballochmyle, from London, with immigrants, and she came up to an anchorage on Monday afternoon off Rhodes Bay. The health officers Drs Donald and Rouse proceeded down to the vessel, and there was no sickness on board, she was at once cleared. The ship, which is a new one, and on her maiden voyage, is a fine model and well fitted throughout. Her cabins are roomy and well furnished, and she has a large poop cabin for the saloon passengers. The ship was built by Mr William Watson. Her length is 234ft: beam38 1/2ft; 'tween decks 9ft; depth of hold, 23ft. On making the usual inspection everything was found in excellent order. The immigrants compartments throughout were scrupulously clean. The 'tween decks are lofty, well lighted and ventilated. There was an improvement in the married persons' compartment, the berths being high boarded and curtained, thus giving to each married couple great privacy. The ship has a large condenser, which has acted fairly during the passage, but the galley for the immigrants could have been better. The immigrants look extremely well and appear excellently suited to the requirements of the colony. The surgeon-superintendent (Dr Smyth) has had charge of several immigrant ships, and in this case has been fortunate - no disease having occurred during the voyage. During the passage five deaths occurred, three of infants from diarrhoea and one from scald, a pannikin of boiling tea being accidently knocked over it. One adult - a female - died from heart disease. There have been three births during the voyage. Two single girls who came out in charge of Mrs Reardon are well spoken of. The voyage appears to have been a very pleasant one - concerts and amusements of various kinds having taken place.

    During the afternoon the ship was visited by the commissioners and his Honor the Superintendent, and Mr Holloway. The latter expressed himself highly pleased with the arrangements, especially in the intermediate compartments. The ship has a large cargo, and comes consigned to the New Zealand Shipping Company.

    The following is the captains report: Left Gravesend on February 25, called at Plymouth and embarked 502 passengers; landed pilot and left the Start on March 4, with fine, fresh breeze. The N.E. trades were moderate, and the equator was crossed on March 29; had light S.E. trades; passed Cape Verde Island on March 18; ran down the eastings from 40 deg to 48 deg; passed the meridian of the Cape on April 29, the weather being squally; when off the Tasmanian coast encountered strong winds and heavy squalls, with high seas; passed the Snares on May 27; had thick weather until sighting the Peninsula on May 29; thence had northerly winds and anchored 2pm on June 1, making the passage from Plymouth to the Snares in 84 days.